News Flash

Moline News

Posted on: October 12, 2023

Moline and AFSCME ink new labor agreement

A Moline employee represented by AFSCME gives a thumbs up sign

The City of Moline is pleased to announce the successful conclusion of negotiations with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 1132, representing 142 dedicated public employees in our community. This comprehensive three-year labor agreement, which will benefit both the workforce and the city, reflects Moline’s continued commitment to providing excellent services to its residents.

Under the terms of this new labor agreement, all AFSCME employees will enjoy substantial wage increases in each of the three years, in addition to a valuable paid parental leave benefit for new parents welcoming a child into their lives through birth or adoption/foster care.  The city is proud to be the first in the area to offer such a benefit to its employees.   

“I’m very thankful for both parties taking interest in and making paid parental leave a reality,” said Moline Mayor Sangeetha Rayapati. “Moline is leading the way in the region on this issue. I am also grateful that our responsible budgeting helped make this benefit possible.”

Key details of the labor agreement include:

In 2023, employees will receive a substantial wage increase of the greater of 5% or an adjustment to meet the minimum wage under the new Evergreen Class & Compensation plan, effective from October 8, 2023. In addition to the base increase, employees will receive a 2.25% anniversary increase or 1.50% lump sum payment, along with a one-time signing bonus of $650. For 2024 and 2025, employees will realize a 2.50% and 2.75% general wage increase, respectively.  With the addition of their anniversary increases and wage adjustments, employees will receive a minimum wage increase of 17% over three years, although some employees will receive a much higher increase. 

Health insurance remains a significant part of the agreement. The current agreement's health benefit structure will remain unchanged with the employer covering 80% of the premium, and employees responsible for the remaining 20%.  Increases to total premiums over the three years are 3% in each of 2023 and 2024 and no more than 7% in 2025 where the employees' share will not exceed that of any other union within the city.

The members of AFSCME, representing the city's largest group of employees across departments such as public works, parks and recreation, utilities and finance have overwhelmingly approved this agreement, which was subsequently adopted by the Moline City Council on Tuesday night. This collaboration between the City of Moline and AFSCME Local 1132 reflects our collective dedication to fostering a positive work environment and ensuring that our public employees receive competitive compensation and benefits.

This labor agreement is in effect through December 31, 2025, ensuring stability and security for both the city and its employees. 

Facebook Twitter Email