- Community & Economic Development
- Zoning & Land Development
- Flood Hazard Protection
Flood Hazard Information
Local Flood Hazards
The Mississippi River, the Rock River, and their tributaries are sources of flooding in Moline. The City of Moline is working to reduce the risk of personal injury and property damage due to flooding by providing local maps, regulations, and other useful information.
Questions about local flood hazards, floodplain mapping, construction regulations, and similar inquiries may be directed to the Community Development Department at 309.524.2050.
The Mississippi River is the largest river in North America and forms the boundary between the Iowa and Illinois quad cities. July 9, 1993, Mississippi River rose to a record 22.63 feet in Rock Island, 7.63 feet above flood stage. This is widely considered the base flood for the Mississippi River (1% annual chance flood; also known as the "100-year flood").
The Rock River is a tributary of the Mississippi River and traverses the southern half of Moline. April 21, 2013, Rock River rose to a record 16.52 feet in Moline, 4.52 feet above flood stage and broke 2008’s record 16.33 feet. This flood was caused by widespread heavy rains. Ice jams are also common on the Rock River, which can result in rapid, frequent flooding.
Special Flood Hazard Areas
Many properties and neighborhoods in the vicinity of these rivers or tributaries are located in special flood hazard areas. The city can determine if your property falls within a special flood hazard area and can provide additional flood documentation upon request.
- Association of State Floodplain Managers
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- FEMA Map Service Center (including FIRM maps)
- Illinois Association for Stormwater and Floodplain Management
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources / Office of Water Resources
- National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- Rivergages.com- Water levels of rivers and lakes
- Turn Around Don’t Drown campaign
- Brochure: Information about Local Flood Hazards
- Brochure: Your Property is Located In or Near a Flood Hazard Area
- FEMA Elevation Certificate
- FEMA Flood Insurance Study (FIS) for Rock Island County
- FEMA Revalidation Letter for Letters of Map Change
- Moline Floodplain Development Authorization Form
- Moline Flood Hazard Prevention Code - must accept legal disclaimer and click Chapter 13
- Moline interactive flood hazard area map (web application) - must accept legal disclaimer and click Flood Zone Map graphic