Click to Home
Go To Search
Flood Insurance
Flood Coverage Facts
  • Standard property insurance policies do not cover flood damage.
  • Everyone lives in a flood zone. Wherever it rains, it can flood.
  • A structure in a flood hazard area has a 26% chance of flood damage during a 30-year mortgage, as compared to a 10% chance of fire.
  • The entire building can be lost with a single flood.

National Flood Insurance Program
The City of Moline participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which makes federally backed flood insurance available for all eligible buildings, whether they are in a floodplain or not. Flood insurance covers direct losses caused by surface flooding, including a river flowing over its banks, a lake or ocean storm, and local drainage problems. To learn more about the mandatory purchase of flood insurance for federally backed mortgages on buildings located in special flood hazard areas, see the Mandatory Purchase Requirement page.

Coverage Types
The NFIP insures buildings, including mobile homes, with two types of coverage - building and contents. Building coverage is for the walls, floors, insulation, furnace, and other items permanently attached to the structure. Contents coverage may be purchased separately, if the contents are in an insurable building.

Community Rating System
The Community Rating System (CRS) is a voluntary program administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). CRS provides lower insurance premiums under the NFIP due to advanced local floodplain management activities.  The City of Moline currently maintains a CRS Class 8 rating which automatically reduces the cost of flood insurance premiums in Moline by 10 percent.

Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) Coverage
If a flood damages your property, you may be required by law to bring your home or building up to community and state floodplain management standards. If you have NFIP insurance and the city has declared the building to be substantially damaged, NFIP may provide up to $30,000 of the cost to elevate, flood proof, demolish, or relocate your property in order to comply with floodplain standards. ICC coverage is in addition to the coverage you receive to repair flood damages. However, the total payout on a policy may not exceed $250,000 for residential buildings and $500,000 for nonresidential buildings. Claims for ICC coverage should be initiated through your insurer.

Mandatory Purchase Requirement
The Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973 and the National Flood Insurance Reform Act of 1994 made the purchase of flood insurance mandatory for federally backed mortgages on buildings located in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs). It also affects all forms of Federal or Federally related financial assistance for buildings located in SFHAs. The SFHA is the base (100-year or 1% annual chance) floodplain mapped on a Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM). It is shown as one or more zones that begin with the letter “A” or “V.”

The rule applies to secured mortgage loans from such financial institutions as commercial lenders, savings and loan associations, savings banks, and credit unions that are regulated, supervised, or insured by Federal agencies such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of Thrift Supervision. It also applies to all mortgage loans purchased by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac in the secondary mortgage market.

Federal financial assistance programs affected by the laws include loans and grants from agencies such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, Farmers Home Administration, Federal Housing Administration, Small Business Administration, and the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

How it Works
Lenders are required to complete a Standard Flood Hazard Determination (SFHD) form whenever they make, increase, extend or renew a mortgage, home equity, home improvement, commercial, or farm credit loan to determine if the building or manufactured (mobile) home is in an SFHA. It is the Federal agency’s or the lender’s responsibility to check the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) to determine if the building is in an SFHA. Copies of the FIRM are available for review in most local government building or planning departments. Lenders may also have copies or they use a flood zone determination company to provide the SFHD form.

If the building is in a SFHA, the Federal agency or lender is required by law to require the recipient to purchase a flood insurance policy on the building. Federal regulations require building coverage equal to the amount of the loan (excluding appraised value of the land) or the maximum amount of insurance available from the NFIP, whichever is less. The maximum amount available for a single-family residence is $250,000. Government sponsored enterprises, such as Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, have stricter requirements.

The mandatory purchase requirement does not affect loans or financial assistance for items that are not covered by a flood insurance policy, such as vehicles, business expenses, landscaping, and vacant lots. It does not affect loans for buildings that are not in an SFHA, even though a portion of the lot may be. While not mandated by law, a lender may require a flood insurance policy, as a condition of a loan, for a property in any zone on a FIRM.

If a person feels that a SFHD form incorrectly places the property in the SFHA, he or she may request a Letter of Determination Review from FEMA. This must be submitted within 45 days of the determination. More information can be found on the FEMA website

If you do not have flood insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Note there is a 30-day waiting period before coverage becomes effective.